Are you a passionate taiko player or taiko appreciator?
Do you strive to be a leader and change-maker in your community?
Do you have ideas and a vision to shape the future of the taiko community?
Consider applying for a position on TCA’s Board of Directors!
TCA’s Board accepts applications on an annual basis.
Deadline to apply for the 2020 cohort is May 31, 2020 at 11:59PM Pacific Time.
There is a diversity of skills and experience in the taiko community that would greatly strengthen TCA’s ability to support individuals and the greater taiko community in North America and beyond.
We are especially seeking candidates with experience in the following areas:
- NONPROFIT MANAGEMENT – governance, policy & procedures
- FUNDRAISING – annual campaigns, donor cultivation, grant writing
- FINANCE – understanding of organizational finances, budgets, accounting
- HUMAN RESOURCES – compliance, hiring and onboarding
We also welcome the following representation at the board and committee levels:
- Marketing/Public Relations – branding, promotion of TCA activities
- Technology – website development/maintenance, basic programming
- Communications – strategic alignment of outreach from various TCA projects and committees
- Attendance at past NATCs
- Geographic representation of the taiko community
The Board of Directors supports the work of Taiko Community Alliance and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance by:
– PLANNING STRATEGICALLY for the future
– ADVOCATING for TCA and its Core Values and Guiding Principles
– OVERSEEING financial management and sustainability
– CONTRIBUTING to TCA’s programs and fundraising goals
– ESTABLISHING POLICY to guide TCA actions with values consistent with mission
– SUPPORTING and MANAGING key staff, primarily the Business Manager
- Be passionate about Taiko Community Alliance, its mission, purposes, goals, policies, and programs.
- Attend the annual 2-day board retreat, and at least 75% (9 out of 11) of monthly teleconference board meetings. Dates and time of all meetings are provided at the annual retreat for the following 12 months.
- Be a current Taiko Community Alliance member.
- Attend and/or volunteer at the biennial North American Taiko Conference.
- Contribute meaningful annual financial gifts.*
- Support Fundraising Committee efforts to ensure the organization has enough money to carry out its programs and be financially stable.
- Plan and/or volunteer for TCA programs outside of NATC.
- Participate in at least one or two TCA working committees.
- Suggest possible board nominees to the Board.
- Possess a familiarity with and understanding of the taiko art form.
*It is standard practice for nonprofit boards to expect regular financial support from their board members. So that TCA can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, TCA expects 100% of Board Members to make an annual contribution. Because we do not wish to place undue financial hardship upon individual board members, TCA board members freely determine their annual donation amount according to their capacity to give. We expect TCA to be within board members’ top five charitable contributions for the year.
NOMINATIONS & VETTING PROCESS
- TCA Board Development Committee (BDC) is the main point of contact for this process. Any questions can be addressed to email@example.com.
- Completed applications should be submitted and any supplemental information is due to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2020 11:59PM PDT. The BDC will vet candidates prior to elections by the current board. Notification of elected candidates is expected around mid-to-late July.
- Criteria for outright elimination of a nominee include past fraudulent behavior or unverifiable references.
- The results of the vetting process will be communicated to the candidates in confidence.
- TCA members may nominate themselves directly or may recommend someone who would make a good candidate. It is expected that a recommendation is made with the knowledge/approval of the potential nominee.