We want to know about your obon! This summer, submit your obon to TCA’s Obon Project. Every week, we’ll showcase a video as described below on our website and social media to provide as part of our Obon Project to showcase different obon festivals throughout North America.
Obon, or “Bon Odori” are Japanese Buddhist festivals held each summer to honor the spirits of one’s ancestors. Most obon festivals in North America feature art showcases, food stands, taiko performances, and most importantly bon odori.
Check out the requirements below and click on the link at the bottom of the page to submit!!
- Quality of video must be a minimum of the following standards. A typical iPhone or Andriod phone will usually achieve this.
- H.264 video with AAC audio in MOV or MP4 format
- An aspect ratio no larger than 1280px wide and divisible by 16px
- A frame rate at, or below, 30fps
- Stereo audio with a sample rate of 44,100hz
- Video should be 5-10 minutes long.
- Must be submitted by a TCA member.
- Video must start out with the following introduction: “My name is ________ and I am a TCA member. I am here at _________ Obon in __________ and THIS IS MY OBON!”
- Share something about your obon, whether by walking through the different art/food/game stands, interviewing people, or recording a performance.
- Conclude the video by telling us your favorite part of this obon.
- Submit video within 24 hours of recording so that we can share your video while your obon is still ongoing!
Examples of FB live videos: https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/best-practices/live
Example from Intercollegiate Taiko Invitational: https://www.facebook.com/taikocommunityalliance/videos/1123119841086241/