The application period is now closed.
Job Title: 2017 Taiko Jam Producer
Employer: Taiko Community Alliance (TCA)
The North American Taiko Conference (NATC) is a biennial gathering, formerly
sponsored by the Japanese American Cultural and Community Center (JACCC) and
now sponsored by the Taiko Community Alliance (TCA). The conference features
workshops, discussions, and activities on taiko (Japanese drumming). The goals of the
conference are to build a network of taiko groups in North America, to document the
history of taiko in North America, and to support the artistic development of North
American taiko. The conference started in 1997 and has been held in Los Angeles
(1997, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2009), Sacramento (2003), Seattle (2007), Stanford
(2011), and UNLV (2015). The 2017 NATC will be held on the UCSD Campus in San Diego, CA on August 10-13, 2017
Taiko Jam serves as a keynote, public performance of the conference. Previous concerts have included performers from across North America and Japan. Taiko Jam 2017 will take place over TWO shows in Mandeville Auditorium on the campus of the University of California, San Diego on Saturday and Sunday, August 12 and 13th.
TCA, a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, will be serving as the sponsoring organization for
the 2017 Taiko Jam Producer. The Taiko Jam producer will plan, manage, coordinate,
and facilitate Taiko Jam 2017.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing all aspects of successful planning, production, and execution of the Taiko Jam Concert.
- Sourcing, selection, contracting and management of taiko ensembles for the purpose of performing at the 2017 Taiko Jam (2 show series), in conjunction with the Conference Coordinator and NATC Working Committee.
- Serve as a liaison between the Conference Coordinator, Taiko Jam performers, theater staff members, contracted technicians, and UNLV representatives. This includes attending bi-monthly NATC Committee conference calls and regular check ins with Conference Coordinator.
- Supervision of all contractors related to Taiko Jam and management of respective contracts.
- Coordination of marketing, production, and ticket sales in cooperation with TCA and NATC designated staff and volunteers.
- Prepare and monitor project budgets, cash flow projections and schedules.
- Provide a final written report to TCA. Final report required within 30 days after NATC.
This is a contracted position, to begin in March 2017. Position to end approximately August 30, 2017.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five + years of previous stage production or event planning experience.
- Strong prioritization, organization, and multi-tasking skills
- Strong customer service skills (by telephone and in person)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under own initiative and with little supervision
- Knowledge and experience working with the North American Taiko community
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
The cover letter should include a statement of intent outlining why you are interested in
the position or particularly suited for it. It should also highlight any experience with or
interest in NATC or taiko in general, if applicable.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017