This position closed on November 15, 2018.
Job Title: Taiko Voices: Song Commission Coordinator
Employer: Taiko Community Alliance (TCA)
The Project: Song Commission Project
The 2016 Taiko Census revealed enormous demand in the taiko community for excellent open source pieces and resources to learn them. This project honors the legacy, generosity, and hard work of Taiko Pioneers, furthers the development of a new generation of taiko artists, and directly targets a need expressed by TCA’s constituents, all as a celebration of 50 years of taiko in North America.
Taiko Voices: Made in America is one of TCA’s celebrations of the 50th Anniversary of taiko. Under Taiko Voices, representatives from the three pioneer groups will compose a song honoring the original voices and the current generation of taiko artists. The piece will debut at Bay Area taiko concerts in 2019 and be shared with the larger community via online teaching tutorials and a teaching tour, with groups invited to incorporate the song into their regular performing repertoire, adding their own flavor.
TCA is searching for a 50th Anniversary Song Commission Coordinator. The Song Commission Coordinator will oversee all coordination, communication, and logistics and execute administrative aspects of the project (i.e., upload of videos and teaching resources).
Contract Maximum: $4500 (Note, this total cannot be exceeded; all tasks must be completed for this amount)
Employment Period: Present to Fall 2019
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Management, Planning, and Outreach:
- Creating and implementing project timeline and schedule
- Developing a method to measure the success of project (i.e. the creation of the piece, hits on the online teaching resources, and attendance at teaching tour workshops).
- Coordinating and arranging logistics for meetings (both in-person and online) between artists
- Assisting with studio space and equipment rentals for in person gatherings
- Overseeing logistics for collaborators and Pioneers traveling to San Jose for the recorded jam session and collaborative composing sessions.
- Coordinating a volunteer videographer
- Managing the creation of online tutorials and resources to learn the piece
- Developing a teaching tour schedule
- Ensuring that the project aligns with goals
- Providing progress reports at least every 2 weeks to TCA 50th Song Commission Committee
- Writing posts for TCA blog and Facebook pages about important project milestones
Financial and Budgetary
- Monitoring the project budget and providing bi-weekly reports to TCA 50th Song Commission Committee.
- Performing all closeout tasks and transmitting a Final Report to TCA, the Executive Committee, and the TCA Board.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and follow through on workplans
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong network within the North American taiko community
- 2-5 years Project Management experience, preferably in a performing arts setting
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, GoogleDocs, Youtube, and Zoom, GoToMeeting, or other digital meeting platform
- Experience developing sequenced learning resources and multimedia content a plus
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to rome@taikocommunityalliance.